Every year at dawn on the 14th January a lot of people of Jaipur go to the Galtaji for a dip and there after give alms and donate blankets to the poor and feed cows green fodder and grain to the pigeons. Later in the day children and adults alike get on the roof top of their houses and fly multicolored kites, play blaring bollywood music and eat dal ke pakoras, revaries, gazak, phinie and til ke ladoos. One and only aim is to cut as many kites as possible. Food , body functions etc. can wait. The street urchins have a busy day as they try to collect as many cut kites as possible without any regard for their life or limb. The serious kite enthusiasts get invited to a home in the walled as that is where the real action is going to be.
A day before 14th January young and old alike shop for kites and string ( Sadda & Manjha) to fly them with.Budgets are the least of the constraints. Kites come in all colors and all shapes and sizes. They are even made of thin plastic sheets. Companies have their messages put on kites and on some photos of film stars are used to attract customers.There are even chinese made kites being sold in the markets.The master craftsmen who make kites and manjhas have been doing it for generations.
Once the booty is brought home the kites are readied for the next days action by stringing the kites and putting manjha on a sadda charkhy. Nobody wants to waste a single moment of the precious day on mundane details. There is a huge demand for black colored manjha as it is thought to have legendary powers to cut oppositions kites. Chinese manjha is to be avoided as it is coated with metal powder and can conduct electricity and can disrupt power supply if it falls on naked high tension lines.
Kite flying is simple enough if there is some wind blowing and somebody preps the kite for you. Long months of wasted youth flying kites are needed to learn the art of cutting the other guys kites. But once you get the knack every year 14th January will see you on your roof top enjoying the highs and lows of kite flying Jaipur style.
In 1878 Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh ji started the practice of flying kites on Makar Sakranti. Preparation for the festival would start 2 months before the festival date. Master craftsmen from Bareily & Ahemdabad were called to make manjha and kites.The Royals used to fly kites made of silver and gold and their charkhis used to be inlaid with gems. Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh ji was also a great kite flying enthusiast. His kite collection is on display in the City Palace Museum even today.There is mention of Lord Ram having flown a kite in Ramchrita Manas of Tulsidasji.
A couple of things to keep in mind when flying kites this 14th is to say no to manjha of any kind and to take good care of ones self. Because accidents do happen. Remember there will be other sankrats. There will be other kites to fly. And the manjha can seriously hurt the birds sharing the sky with your kites. If we will not be considerate of our feathered friends who will be.
Contact UsKaran's Guesthouse, D-76,Shiv Heera Path,Chomu House, C-Scheme,Jaipur,302001 E.Mail. KGH @ AOL.IN M.91-9828284433 T.91-141-2363262 WEB. www.karans.info kgh @ aol.in
A Jaipur Album
- Boneless Chicken In Shahi GravyServes: 3 Persons Time Taken: 90 minutes Ingredients: 300 grams Boneless Chicken 150 grams Oil 4 medium onions minced 1 inch piece of Ginger 5 TBS Fresh Milk Malai 2 heaping TSP chili powder 1 heaping TSP coriander powder 1/2 … Continue reading →
- Chicken tomato masalaServes: 2 Persons Ingredients: 500gms Boneless Chicken Fresh tomato puree* of 5 medium tomatoes 2 Paste of two Medium raw onions oil 2 Tsp (Heaping) Red chili powder 1 Tsp (Not Heaping) Dhania Powder 1/4 Tsp Haldi Powder 1 Tsp … Continue reading →
- Boneless Chicken In Shahi Gravy
- Boneless Chicken In Shahi Gravy
- Chicken tomato masala
- A home for the butterflies in Jaipur
- Chicken Masala In An Oven
- How To Use The Leftover Roties?
- How To Cook ‘Kaleji’
- CHICKEN LOVER’S RECIPE EXCHANGE
- KEOLADEO NATIONAL PARK,BHARATPUR IN IMAGES-3
- KEOLADEO NATIONAL PARK,BHARATPUR IN IMAGES-2
- KEOLADEO NATIONAL PARK,BHARATPUR IN IMAGES
- Some Images From The Pushkar Fair 2013
- An Encounter With The Naga King Chillies
- A Visit To KCK Simriti Ban
- A Walk At The Man Sagar Lake
- My Version Of Masala Papad Recipe
- How To Make A Simple Tomatoe Cheese Sandwich
- How To Grill a Perfect Cheese Vegetable Sandwich
- Photos From A Day At Mehrangarh Fort
- Do you take a camera with you on your holiday?
- A Gourmand’s Jaipur
- Times Food Guide-First Jaipur Edition-2012
- The Rake
- Picture Gallery
- JEWELS IN THE CROWN OF JAIPUR
- Guldaudi Is All Set To Bloom Again!
- Musical Fountain At The Jawahar Circle, Jaipur
- National Flag Of India In Jaipur
- Unique Restaurants Of Jaipur
- A Recipe To Cook Raan At Home
- Why Love Jaipur?
- Elephants Are The National Heritage Animals Of India
- Revamped Official Website Of Karan’s Guesthouse
- A To Do List For When You Are In Jaipur
- The Flowers Are Back!
- What’s Cool In This Heat?
- Paneer Masala
- Science Park
- JKK Gifts Jaipur With A Rajasthani Museum
- Do Press The Like Button!
- The Salt Lake of Sambhar
- Shaktipeeth-Kaila Devi
- The Jantar Mantar In New Delhi
- To Sariska-By Road-An Album
- A Visit To Kaila Devi Mela
- Radio, TV & FM In Jaipur
- Got To Have Gota!
- What Is A ‘Kos Minar’?
- Sevanti-A Reprise
- The Hot Air Balloon Ride On The 13th March 2011
- An Evening At The Jal Mahal Palace
- Bored In Jaipur?
- Whats Free In Jaipur?
- Chicken Curry
- A Recipe To Cook ‘Khichari’
- Photos Of Some Common Birds Found In The Parks & Gardens Of Jaipur.
- A Labour of Love!
- G.I. For Sanganeri Hand Block Prints
- Show Us The Trees In Your Garden!
- The Jaipur Cyber Dens
- Some Photos Worth Another Look!
- Best Jaipur Hangouts
- Why Kill A Tree Like This?
- What Noise?
- Why Do We Need Piped LPG?
- Why Burn Dry Leaves?
- An Appeal
- Hand Made Paper
- Beautification Of The Streets Of Jaipur
- Jaipur Blue
- Photographing Monuments Of Jaipur
- Spicy Egg Curry
- Makar Sakranti
- This Jaipur-At A Glance
- The Bullet Riders
- Rangeela Omelette
- Open Air Theatres in Jaipur
- The Smoking Lounges of Jaipur
- A Shoe Laundry In Jaipur?
- Some Flower And Plant Nurseries In Jaipur
- Soya Chunks In Manchurian Sauce
- Day Break At The Man sagar
- A Flower For Your Desktop
- A Day At The Pushkar Fair 2009
- A Recipe To Cook Lentils
- Deepawali Chali Gai
- Cannon Foundry Of Jaigarh
- 13th Birding Fair at Jaipur’s Man Sagar Lake to Promote ‘River Restoration’
- Jaipur on Slideshare.net
- Some Important Libraries Of Jaipur
- Ground Water Level in Jaipur
- Thikana Govind Dev Ji
- The Monsoon Ride To Bhangarh
- Local Perfumes Of Jaipur
- A Deer Park In Jaipur
- All In Praise Of Trees
- Jantar Mantar
- Laal Maans-Prepared My Way
- Places To Visit Near Jaipur-A list
- Isar Lat
- A Traveler’s Resource Known As The Travelgrove.com
- Global Cook Book-1
- Horn Please!
- A Gift Of Wings
- Call 108 Emergency
- A Birding Fair in Jaipur
- Jaipuri Razai-A Quilt Like None Other
- Ravindra Manch And Jawahar Kala Kendra
- A Village For The Elephants Of Amber
- In Remembrance
- An Animal Fair With A Difference
- ‘Khama Ghani Ajmal ji Ra Kanwara’
- Pabu ji
- Grace in Gait-The Thar Marwari Horse
- Kota Doria Sarees
- Chocolates-A Life Long Affair
- Lac-Worth Its Weight In Gold
- A Quick Bite To Eat In Jaipur-2
- Pachar-The Desert Citadel
- A Quick Bite To Eat In Jaipur
- Bal Vipra Bankura Hanuman Ji Mandir,Baleta
- A Rajasthani Delicacy-Ker Sangri Pickle
- In And Around Bhandarej-A Sketch
- Air Planes For All ?
- PRASANNAM Diabetic Foot Clinic,Jaipur
- Coffee Bars of Jaipur-A List
- Master Masons Of Sikandra
- Lalsot-Some Interesting Facts
- Braille Library Of Jaipur
- It Is A Dog’s Holiday
- Morning Walk In Jaipur
- Pushkar Fair
- A Rajasthani Curry Made With Aloe Vera
- Marriages May Be Made In Heaven But Are Solemnised In Jaipur
- SHRI SALASAR BALAJI
- SHRI KHATU SHYAM JI
- JAIPUR GETS A NEW ART GALLERY
- How Do You Like Your Chai-Tea?
- CAMEL-THE SHIP OF DESERT
- Ramakrishna Mission
- Mehndipur Balaji
- Jaipur Life
- Peacock-The National Bird Of India
- Jaipur Museums-A List
- Gardens Around Jaipur
- Bird Watching In Jaipur
- Books About Jaipur You Should Read
- A Fish Curry Recipe From Jaipur,INDIA
- Clubs Of Jaipur
- Where To Shop When In Jaipur
- JAIPUR-A Fun Place-Even By Night
- Karan’s Guest House
- Innovative invitation from Gourmet Gateway 👍 fb.me/1cv2y5QI7 5 hours ago
- fb.me/2Ufxgm4kc 22 hours ago
- Pebbles https://t.co/RAkfGhrBu6 1 month ago
- Multi hued Khurjan https://t.co/VRtu7H9hjC 1 month ago
- Jai'Pour....Beautiful cafe/bar. 1 month ago
Karan’s Guest House, Jaipur Photo Gallery
Share This Blog
- 259,019 hits
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Follow Karan's Guest House on WordPress.com
- Follow Karan's Guest House on WordPress.com